All eyes of the design world were cast firmly on Milan from April 17 to 22, during Salone del Mobile: one of the biggest furnishing trade fairs in the world. From an array of pop-ups, launches, parties, and stunning displays, we took it all in alongside TV host, designer, and Taymor Designer Council member Andrew Pike, to bring you highlights and the latest international kitchen and bath design trends.
Here are the awe-inspiring trends we spotted at this year's event:
- Statement wine shelving and more wine display cabinets
- Large amount of hydraulic counters, tables, bar tops, and lazy susans
- Monolithic islands fully clad in stone or quartz
- Islands housing more and more appliances: dishwasher, sink, stove, steam ovens, microwave, etc.
- Structural faucets: pro and semi pro still strong
- Dark grey and black finishes everywhere: appliances, faucets, hardware, cabinets, and interiors
- Clean and modern looks warmed up and softened with light woods and fresh greenery
- Cabinetry as a display/showpiece: lots of clear and smoked glass
- Soft gold finish for fridge panels, range hoods, etc.
- Texture on handles and spouts of faucets, cross hatch is huge
- Brushed gold shower enclosures
- Black finishes are popular
- Innovative shower systems
- Statement shower heads
- Ribbing and fluting
- Lots of steel everywhere
- Sculptural statement tubs